"Why Hire a Security Consultant"

Comments (20)

Publishing Guidelines: You are welcome to publish this article in its entirety, electronically, or in print, free of charge, as long as you include my full signature file for E-Zine's. Please send a courtesy link or email where you publish to mailto:secuone@aol.com . Thank you.

"Why Hire a Security Consultant"
Copyright2004 By Gary L. Cunningham, C.P.O.
C & M Consulting Services

I have often been asked, "Why should I hire a security consultant to tell me what security measures my business needs?" I guess the biggest reason is if you know little to nothing about security, then you need to hire someone that does know the ins and outs to get the most benefit!

There is a lot more than just looking at your doors, windows and locks or alarm systems to figuring out what security measures are need to protect your entire business. The main goal is to look at all your liabilities on security issues and reduce or eliminate them. This saves you time and money in the long run and keeps you out of a possible court situation in the future.

To this end, you need to do a physical site security survey. This will identify the most pressing of your security issues that can get you in trouble. By looking at the entire company, those issues can be identified, measures to protect you implemented and your liabilities reduced!

There are measures that only need to have policies and procedures changed or implemented that will reduce your liabilities. There are other measures that you will need to put in place to protect your hiring process that can save you from a lawsuit. Then there may be other measures that contain a security presence on site or after hours that will protect you.

The thing with competent security consultants is, they know what to look for when identifying security issues and they know how to deal with them with cost effective reductions/eliminations. They know what does and does not work for a variety of business types and your particular area of location.

Security measures do not mean that it has to be a major expense outlay every time. But, it can come to a major expense if you do not have the proper security measures and wind up in a court situation being sued for that reason. You may have insurance to cover it and they may not cover you if found negligent.

Then there is the bad publicity, the court time, the lawyers fees and on and on. You can see it can be very traumatic for a business owner! Especially if you lose the case and very expensive too!

So it makes sense to use a security consultant to get the best benefits you can, think of the expense as an investment for the future. It will keep you out of court, it could save you on your insurance, it will keep you out of the bad publicity limelight and it will give you piece of mind.

It is better to be prepared and not need it than to not be prepared and need it. This is true for any type of business! Stop looking at security as just an expense and look at it for what it is, an investment to protect your future!

Consultants can help you with the following issues:

ØNegligent Hiring/Retention
ØPremises Liability
ØNegligent Security
ØHiring Contract Security Services
ØPhysical Site Security Surveys
ØBusiness Espionage
ØFraud and Internal Thefts
ØDisaster recovery
ØRisk Analysis

There are many ways a consultant can protect your business. You are looking at reducing your liabilities and protecting your self, employees, assets and the facility you have. After all you have worked for a while to get where you are, would it not be silly to lose it all because you thought it was an unnecessary expense?

About the Author

Gary Cunningham is a Certified Protection Officer with over 30 years experience in High Risk Security, Law Enforcement Special Operations, Specialized Training and Military Special Operations. For more information on his services to business owners, check out www.cmbizinfo.com or e-mail him at mailto:secuone@aol.com!


GoEngineer 24.07.2007. 21:11

How to start a Network Security Business as a Certified Network Security Specialist? Hello! Can anyone please help me with this question? Thanks! I am getting certified in Network Security from my school and should be finished within a month. I plan to start a Network Security Agency or Consultant Group. How would I go about this? Is there a large number of businesses willing to pay for an outsider to mess with their Networks Security? And what type of businesses should I start to market too? I have done searches on this through numerous search Engines, but nothing has come up. I appreciate your responses. Thank You all ahead of time!


Admin 24.07.2007. 21:11

It's totally obvious when a "consultant " walks in and has no real experience in their field, and I personally won't hire a consultant that doesn't have a reference list of similar projects completed.

You really need some real-world experience first: get a job in the IT field, after five years you could probably wrangle your way into network security, get at least five years in network security, and then you'll be in a viable position to try this.

As an aside: if you're thinking about consulting but don't know if what you want to do is possible, how to do it, if you have a market, or who that market is... that should tell you something important.


Leroy Johnson 09.04.2011. 22:26

Do you think that Congress Woman Riddle has a good argument about woman? that come to the United States to have Anchor babies, Then bring them back to the Motherland to train them in bomb making so in twenty year's or so, The anchor baby can come back to the United States and blow themselves up with a bunch of innocent people, Do you feel Congress Woman Riddle should be hired by homeland security as a consultant? Source Google Congress Woman Riddle interview with Anderson Copper.

Leroy Johnson

Admin 09.04.2011. 22:26

No She should be committed and heavily medicated
What a nut job
Is she friends with Sarah Palin ?


looozaur 11.08.2007. 05:08

How much do you think private security contractors like Blackwater charge private companies? Greetings,

I am doing a report on private security companies like Blackwater, Dyncorp, etc. I am wondering if anyone knew an estimate of how much these companies charge for corporate/business security in places like the Middle East. For example, if a medium sized trading company wanted to open a center in a risky country, what do you think the industry charge would be?


Admin 11.08.2007. 05:08

This is a difficult question to answer unless you define the requirements better.

The cost of security personnel in Iraq would probably range from $85 to $200 per hour per person. There would also be costs for logistics, housing, equipment, supervision and management, etc., and the customer would typically pay for all of these costs in addition to the hourly rate for personnel.

So, if you had ten security people on staff 24/7, it could cost you about $1.8 million just for security personnel alone.

A company that was serious about doing this would typically hire a security consultant to do a threat assessment based on the size and location of the proposed trading company. The consultant would then recommend the number of security personnel needed, types of security systems, etc. and the client could budget accordingly.


Dorito t 19.10.2008. 16:21

How can Social Security and SSI continue to deny a person who has medical problems not get it? I just applied for SSI and Social Security, and was denied. They sent me to their Doctors which when I went the Doctor only had me do 1 thing which was to walk on my toes or something. That was all, and from that I was denied. How do they determine eligibility?

Dorito t

Admin 19.10.2008. 16:21

About 80% of all disability claims get denied. I would suggest that you appeal that decision (you should have gotten a letter from SS which stated what to do if you disagreed with their decision). I would also advise you to hire a good attorney who specializes in SS disability claims since they know the system well (retired SS employees are consultants for these law firms).

And they do charge a fee. Usually they charge 25% of whatever you will receive in your past due benefits from SS and they will also charge you additional for doctor's reports and other paper work that they get. But I think it is definetly worth it.


htoung 06.11.2007. 21:28

What do I do about taxes if employed as an independent consultant / contractor? A larger corporation is hiring me to do a flat fee based consulting project. Will they withhold fed/state taxes or will I have to file that when tax season comes?

I do not own a small business.

Thanks for the replies....does a 1099 apply here?

This is a 1 time consulting project.


Admin 06.11.2007. 21:28

No, they won't take out taxes - you'll have to deal with that yourself. You will probably get a 1099 from the company, but whether you do or not, the procedure for paying taxes is the same. You'll show the income and any associated expenses on a schedule C (or you can probably use a C-EZ), then take the net from that over to a schedule SE to calculate your self-employment tax for social security and medicare. The numbers from the bottom of the two schedules will transfer to your 1040. You'll also put any other income you have on the 1040, then figure your tax amount.


Mac2x 18.03.2007. 21:58

2. You have just been hired as an IT security consultant to ?fix the security problem?? 2.You have just been hired as an IT security consultant to ?fix the security problem? at Acme United Global Manufacturing. The company has been hacked mercilessly over the last six months, with three of the attacks making the headlines of the business section for the negative impact they have had on the firm and its customers. You have been given 90 days and a budget of $1 million. Where would you begin, and what steps would you take to fix the problem?


Admin 18.03.2007. 21:58

Make the entire Network closed circuit, No internet and no email, if this is required then the needed data would be transfered by DVD-R to a connected computer, the DVD is then destroyed and the computer formatted.

Problem solved.


ill will 29.01.2013. 19:06

What 4 year computer degree is the best that makes the most money? I am planning to start school this summer, I am 30 years old I was in the Army and I have my GI bill.
I want to get a 4 year bachelors degree in the computer field. I was thinking about IT and info security, but I want to know what degree is easiest to land a decent paying job after you graduate. After all that is why I am going to go back to school is so I can get a decent job. I am planning on going to school in Raleigh or Durham N.C. I was thinking about ITT Tech but I changed my mind after I looked at there reviews they were mostly all negative, Please I need anyone's suggestion,thanks!

ill will

Admin 29.01.2013. 19:06

There is a shortage of high quality people in all fields. These people will always be in demand. Many of the worst programmers have already lost their jobs to outsourcing but the best and the brightest who keep their skills current and relevant will always find employment (but there IS competition).

In IT you cannot afford to become lazy and content with your skill set. If you keep continually learning business and technology and work on your communications skills you will always be valuable as a programmer, analyst or project manager. You should figure you'll need 5 years experience after graduating a 4 year school to begin to make a good wage.

You will also need to move to where the jobs are: there are no good paying computer jobs in Casper, Wyoming for example. Moving to Silicon Valley may be a good move, but you are also going to be competing with 600,000 other software engineers, so you really need to stand out.

Information security is a given these days - there is nothing specialized about it. The concepts are straightforward, it just takes the will to implement them. There ARE some very specialized jobs that provide some job security, even in smaller towns: computer forensics. A very specialized field that the police, FBI, etc. use to analyze the contents of a user's disc in criminal investigations.

You can ask your college professors for other examples that are in demand. Doing software intern work in a computer drive manufacturer (like Seagate, Western Digital, etc.) would get you job experience in the computer forensics field (for example).

One thing you have to consider is whatever job you choose, you have to ask yourself "Why couldn't this job be exported?" We used to have a team of IT support people at our company, and now IT support is in Asia (except for one low-paid guy). You can manage computer systems from anywhere, including overseas. IT is a 24/7 type of job (mostly on weekends and nights) - so having a family is not a good idea. Software programmers have a more normal 5 day a week job, but it's rare you'll keep the same job with the same company for more than 5 years.

People can, and do, contract overseas programmers as well. The only thing that will provide "job security" is doing something that either 1) no one else does overseas, or 2) a job that *requires* you to be in the USA. Even so, you will *still* have to move to where the jobs are, so you have to built that into the equation.

You college professors will educate you in computers (after all, you are paying them), but they will educate you even if they KNOW there are no jobs when you get out. It is up to you to know what jobs are "secure" or in demand, and go and pursue them. That's one of the reasons why the ITT's reviews were negative.

As a practical matter, you have about 20 years to make your mark. At age 50, companies know that health problems start. No large company is going to hire you because older people skew the health care insurance curve, at most you may be able to work until age 55 until you get laid off (they don't want you on their health insurance roles). You don't want to pick a path that will take you 15 years to establish yourself.

By that time you get to age 50, you need to be prepared to be an independent consultant (and pay your own health insurance). If you are not working toward that goal, you'll be like many of my software programmer friends - out of work with no prospects of finding any.

One of the most important things you can do to find out the right job for you is just to *ASK*. Research the FBI and look to see if they are hiring forensic analysts or cyber-terror analysts. What are they looking for? Are you willing to move near the FBI or Department of Homeland Security headquarters? Ask other people in the IT field what they think is the right course to take. Ask other employers what they are going to be looking for 4 years from now. Ask your professors what they think.

Ultimately, you're going to have to pick something you like doing, because 20 years is a long time to be stuck doing something you don't like. (But you really won't be able to pick what it is you want until you're in the third year of school because you will learn so many new things that you didn't know about before).


Thriver 07.03.2013. 15:56

How many years does a landlord have to sue an ex tenant? I'm at a disadvantage with my ex tenant. He knows my address to serve me, he claims he's going to sue me for his security deposit back. This is laughable as he owes me $3,000.00 over his security deposit in rent owed and damages. I'm so happy to be rid of him I wasn't going to even bother suing him. He has deliberately not left a change of address, & I had to spend 45 minutes of my time having his phone turned off so the new tenants could get theirs turned on to work on the internet. The new tenants do not like also receiving all of the ex-tenants mail, or still dealing with re-doing the yards ex-tenant destroyed & some other issues in the process of being repaired. Some of the things he did can never be repaired or will continually cause money to be put out.

If this fool actually really does have me served, will I then be given his address to counter sue & have him served? How is this fair he has my address to serve me & I don't have his to serve him? I take it I must know his address to serve him at, am I correct? Can I have him served at his girlfriend's house? How would I ever know when he's there? I know he would be the type to not answer the door to be served anyway, or avoid notices from the post office. I already mailed certified his itemization to him within 21 days, but it came back to me because of him not putting in an address. Now his girlfriend has contacted me numerous times wanting me to send his security deposit to her address. I feel I'm being harassed & I don't care to be bothered by her. I have never called her back, sent her a text back, and have ignored the letter she dropped in my mailbox. She didn't mail the letter, she just decided to walk up onto my property & drop it in my mailbox which I also do not appreciate. I don't want her or her loser boyfriend, my ex-tenant, coming onto my property ever again. I don't ever want to hear from them again. By them doing this, it is making me want to sue him, although I bet I'd never see a penny. How can I can get rid of them once & for all. The ex-tenant needs to learn to stop while he's ahead.


Admin 07.03.2013. 15:56

If his girlfriend is the only address you have to reach him you may serve him at this address. He does not have to be there to accept the services. Someone else might accept it on his behalf. The notice could be left on the door attached by a tack, or tape. If you decide to sue in small claims court you should hire the local law enforcement agencies that do the serving of those that are sued. There is a fee for this service, however, it is well worth it. The law enforcement agency would provide proof that the service was properly served.

You should have mailed an itemized list of items repairs upon his departure,with a check if you were able to cover the repairs and funds were left. If no funds were left this itemized list would have explained to him the remainder he would be required to pay.

If you have failed to complete this process you could be liable for a legal lawsuit against you. There are state laws in which the time frame for you to accomplish this has been established. Normally states require you to mail to the address you have on file to mail this to him,even if it is to the address he left which might be your rental unit. The mail would be returned to you as not deliverable with the post office date stamp proving what date you mailed the letter. The state law requirement could be for 30-60 days. It might benefit you if find out the law of your state.

It is responsibility of the former tenant to provide a forwarding address. It is your responsibility to mail this itemize list in the time frame of the state laws in which you reside.

You would have to find out the statue of limitation in your state as to when you could still sue a former tenant. Based on the state in which you reside could be anywhere from 2-4 years.

You might want to consider filing in small claims court a lawsuit against this person. With the lawsuit, you would be awarded a judgment against this person. With this judgment you could garnish his salary where ever he work,thus getting what is legally due you.

You might also protect yourself by applying for an getting a protection order for these two individuals.

If you are served with a notice to appear in court,his address would be included in notice. If you would want to counter sue this individual, you would be required to do to court to do this.

Your current tenant would simply give any mail sent to this person at their address back to the postman. Even though they might do this once they would have to do this for each piece of mail they receive with his name on it. It is against federal law for them to destroy any mail they receive with his name on it.

You have to ask who has the most to lose in this transaction? If you fail to do the legal requirements of being a landlord, your property could be attached, legal fees to protect yourself. You would want to take legal action so as to protect your assets.

For tax and legal matters you should always consult your tax consultant as well as your attorney.

I hope this has been of some benefit to you, good luck.



Susan 31.05.2010. 06:14

Is there any way to report the amounts that I pay to independent contractors for doing odd jobs for me so that? the IRS will be aware of their self-employment income? I don't hire them on a regular basis, but it seems to me that self-employed contractors should have some kind of accountability to be sure they are reporting all income earned.


Admin 31.05.2010. 06:14

Well, there's really nothing that YOU can do. If a given contractor makes over $600 per year from a given customer, then they are SUPPOSED to report it. But as you noted, there are very many contractors who do not properly report their income. I even know some bigger businesses here in Seattle like restaurants that avoid taxes by paying 'employees' 'under-the-table'.
As another example, my cousin is an independent contractor in the construction field - he does pay what are really his employees 'over-the-table', but there is a catch: he makes them get an independent contractor license themselves and have them call themselves 'consultants'. In fact, they are his employees. They use his tools and vehicles, he sets their schedules - hence they are employees, NOT ICs. They don't 'consult' - they work for him as laborers. But doing it that way saves him from having to pay his employer portion of the FICA taxes (Social Security and Medicare), nor does he pay the unemployment taxes FUTA and SUTA. Rather unethical, if you ask me.


Rebekah F 27.08.2011. 22:52

what are the benefits of hiring an accountant for a small business? What would be a benefit of hiring an accountant for business record keeping and handling the payroll besides not having to do it yourself.

Rebekah F

Admin 27.08.2011. 22:52

Often payroll issues can get very complex. For instance in 2010 there was the HIRE act which gave business a credit on their 941 taxes. This year the social security withholding tax and FUTA tax was changed and if you are not keeping up on all these changes you could either be cheating your employees and yourself or potential could face fines from the IRS if you did no comply with these changes. An accountant (preferably a CPA) also acts as a consultant, tax planning, and cash flow analysis and his experience with clients similar to your industry will provide insight that you may have not considered. In my opinion every business should have an experienced CPA on the books.


Write a comment

* = required field





* Yes No