DNA Testing - Are You Raising Someone Else's Child?

Comments (20)

DNA Testing - Are You Raising Someone Else's Child?

By: Tom LeBaron

Paternity Testing - Are you raising someone else's child?

Back in the 1700s, the best way to determine paternity was by a good hard look at the child, followed by a good hard look at the father. Enough coincidences and maybe a relationship could be proposed. A hundred years later, eye colour was discovered to be a paternity identifier. This theory has had its flaws exposed because of recent DNA advances. We now know that eye colour is determined by at least six alleles, or genetic markers. Paternity testing has become a lot easier and affordable over the past few years due to advances in DNA science. Although an estimated 200,000 DNA tests are conducted each year by states needing to sort child-support and welfare issues, few people are willing to conduct their own at-home paternity test because they don't realize the simplicity and convenience of an at-home paternity test.

How does a home DNA test work?

Paternity testing requires a painless sample from both the child and possible father. Even without a sample from the mother, DNA paternity test results are up to 99.9999% accurate - that's one-in-a-million odds your results are incorrect. Most companies provide a free home kit for you to provide the samples and require you to send the kit back to the laboratory with the accompanying fee.

Because many companies are aware of the discomfort of drawing blood from a child in order to get a sample, buccal (mouth) swabs are being accepted as an alternative. By gently massaging the inside of the child's mouth, cheek cells are collected. These cells are then sent to the lab for testing. Labs analyze up to sixteen genetic markers of the child and match them against the markers of the alleged father. Because each of us receives half our genetic markers from each parent, the results of DNA paternity testing are still accurate without the DNA information of the mother. Most labs will have results in 10 days and charge about $290 for a basic paternity verification test.

What else can a DNA test do?

DNA kits can also be used to analyze siblingship, establish cousin or grandparent relationships, determine twin zygosity (i.e. whether twins are fraternal or identical), identify ancestral origin, verify Native American decent, assure parents they left the hospital with the right baby, and most important, provide legal evidence - be prepared to pay a bit more for legal tests. Legal tests can be used to settle adoption issues, settle child-support disputes, and provide information for immigration files.

How to choose a DNA laboratory

  • Accreditation is a vital part of choosing a laboratory. Accredited labs have an annual audit and inspection, undergo internal and external reviews, and have their equipment calibrated for accuracy. Look for an ISO and/or AABB certification. Accredited labs will have a good reputation and near 100% track record for court cases.

  • Look for hidden fees. Some companies will charge you for the kit and then charge you again for the results. Also, double check when you order your kit that you're only buying the results you need.

  • Ask about privacy. Make sure that your identity and intentions are kept secure.

Enjoy piece of mind

Be confident that the questions you have can be answered. DNA testing is safe and stress-free. Find a free kit and an information packet and you're on your way to getting the piece of mind that you deserve.

About The Author

Tom LeBaron is a marketing representative of DNA Bioscience and Sorenson Genomics. Receive your own free home or learn more about DNA paternity testing at http://www.dna-bioscience.co.uk.


Crazy Cupcake 23.03.2013. 08:56

How often do you think babies were accidentally swapped with other babies in maternity wards in the past? I was just thinking to myself that it must have happened all the time, I mean imagine if a nurse confused one newborn baby with another, they all look pretty much identical at first, she would have had to guess which was which and hope no one noticed and no one would ever know. The only way people really even know these days is because of DNA testing and even then how often do parents have a DNA test to confirm the hospital didn't give them the wrong baby? Why you could be raising someone else's child right now o_o

Crazy Cupcake

Admin 23.03.2013. 08:56

Not very often. Most babies will have been born in little hospitals, where the maternity ward will have had two or three babies in at a time.

Plus they're not generally that similar. A six pound baby doesn't look like an eight pound baby. A baby with a small head doesn't look like a baby with a big head. A baby born today doesn't look like a baby born three days ago. A baby with no hair doesn't look like a baby with an inch of hair.


jimjones3 20.02.2006. 04:17

What would you do if your wife was pregant with someone else's baby? I'm asking two parts here:

1) What if you found this out BEFORE the birth?


2) What if you found out AFTER the birth? Assume you and your wife were *trying* to have a baby, and she got pregnant with someone else's sperm. You raised this baby as if it were your own for many years. Then, you find out through DNA testing or whatever that this child is actually not biologically yours?


Admin 20.02.2006. 04:17

Well, I'm a woman, so the phraseology is a little awkward. But I hear your questions anyway.

I remember a story, I can't remember by whom but it was somebody famous, where a woman whose husband was infertile but would not believe it went to a bar and found a man who looked as much like her husband as possible, and . . . but you get the idea. Of course, she never told her husband, he raised the child as his own, and realistically, it was. The point was she found a "sperm donor," not a lover.

Now, as to finding out before the child is born, that's harder. I suppose the real question is whether or not you can put this irregular conception behind you and treat the child as your own. If you have not been able to conceive, and now she is pregnant, we can assume that you are infertile. (That's not impotent, Buddy; that's infertile!) So she has done you a favor by getting pregnant IF she does not expect to be further involved with the "sperm donor." In that case, there is no question of "natural father," or suchlike, as with adoption, because the child is legally yours just because she is married to you.

So, where is your heart?


Taylor 17.02.2013. 15:06

My cheating husband had a daughter while we were married and is now dying? I am 32 years old and have been married for 2 years. I have a daughter, Taylor 16 (this is her account). My husband who is divorced has three children with his ex (14 & 12 twins). His ex is not in the picture and she signed away her rights.

We have no kids together and he was diagnosed with terminal cancer last week. Now, after that we got a call to say a woman he had a child with (they did a DNA test) died. The baby is several weeks old and he is the only living family. I was shocked by this and we had a massive argument.

He said I had to stay and take his kids on. My daughter was there and she told him to go f himself. After that the two of us moved out. He has called since then and I told him I wanted a divorce. Taylor actually got the forms for me to divorce him, she has not gotten on with him after they fell out last year.

My friends have said I should stick it out until he dies and raise the kids. Because I cannot have any more, due to a bad labor with Taylor. The thing is I want a fresh start with my daughter, she is already planning where we can live.

He has roughly 14 months left.

What should I do?


Admin 17.02.2013. 15:06

This is a hard situation
You can either stick with him, or divorce him and leave,
If you leave. You will be. Free
But if u tick with him, U will make him happy
But he cheated on you. I say leave him. He had a daughter with someone else. Take Taylor, YOUR daughter and leave. I don't say take care of his kids. That sounds mean. If you, you CAN,but other people can adopt the,

Tell him how u feel. Try to think about a logical solution. Ask a counsellor or therapist. 14motnhs is. Long time to wait


Ebony 13.05.2011. 05:37

If u put your childs father on child support do u hve any say so in court? Once a court date is scheduled and a DNA test is dne can u take tha father 2 court 4 anything else regarding tha child if he doesnt come 2 visit tha child? Or doesnt help support tha child in anyway?


Admin 13.05.2011. 05:37

If he doesn't come and see the child on his days, you can't make him, but what you can do is go back to court and have his rights slimmed down to almost nothing so that he has no say in the child's religion, or where they go to school, or even what sports they play. if the other parent doesn't want to see their kid then they shouldn't be able to have a say in how they are raised either.

Child support is not just the normal support that you get from the child support calculator you can ask for other things on top of that such as 1/2 daycare costs, 1/2 out of pocket medical expenses, 1/2 extra curricular activity fees such as for baseball or even prom tickets..etc.


ericsgirl28777 14.07.2007. 17:01

What is the fastest way to remove someone from a birth certificate? My sister got pregnant and her boyfriend? got scared. They are in the Navy and he was at sea when she found out. They broke up and she started seeing someone else when she was six months pregnant. Her then boyfriend got her to put him as the father on the birth certificate. When she went back to VA after having the baby the boyfriend she had put down as the father was having affairs and was kicked out of the Navy. They split up and he moved. The babies real father came back from being on deployment and saw how much the baby looked like him and they got back together. Now ex named on B.C. is threataning her and saying he is coming to take HIS baby the Navy won't pay for a DNA test and they don't have the money. Is there another way to get him removed or how can they get a legal paternity test affordably. I know this sounds like an episode of Maury.


Admin 14.07.2007. 17:01

Episode of Maury! That was funny! =) First of all, tell your sister not to worry so much. She is the baby's mother ... she never abandoned her baby ... and she has raised him/her thus far. This creep was having affairs and cheating on her anyway. No judge would ever award him the baby regardless ... maybe visitation ... BUT not full custody. Unless he can prove she is a negligent parent ~ which I highly doubt ~ she has little to worry about other than visitation. He can't just come and take the baby ... that would be kidnapping. He'd have to hire a lawyer .. etc and that would cost tons of money. Does she think he could really afford that?

I am sure - since this guy is not the father she doesn't want visitation either. Unfortunately, there is NO other way to go BUT a Paternity test. Mine cost about $500.00. Tell your sister to call around and see what the costs are because different labs charge different prices. Tell her to find out if any of them offer low income discounts - you never know. I know it's a bit expensive, but maybe they can charge it on a credit card. Either way ... there is no other choice now.

A birth certificate is a LEGAL document and you cannot just go have it "changed". Your sister now must PROVE who the real father is in order to have it changed. Remember that this is something they will want to do anyway because the baby's real father needs to be on the certificate. When the child gets older he will see this and it'll just cause more problems later if they ignore it now. They should find a way to just get it over with now and they'll never have to worry about it again!

She needs to tell this idiot who ISN'T the father that they are going for a Paternity test. Have her write him a letter and tell him to STOP threatening her (she could serve him with a restraining order - this will make him look really bad if they have to go to court and she can do this because he is threatening her). In the letter have her tell him that they are going to have a Paternity test done and he will need to have blood drawn. He knows he ISN'T the father and just her telling him this may make him stop.

He is obviously a jerk who doesn't really care about the baby - he just wants to get back at her. I doubt he'll go through with it if they threaten a Paternity test. And if he does ~ well he really is an IDIOT ~ because he knows he isn't the father and he will go through all that for nothing. He would be laughed out of court if he tried anything after that.

I hope it all works out for you all of you. Tell your sister not to let him upset her because then she is giving her power away to some jerk who DOES NOT deserve it. Tell her to stay calm and be the bigger person. =)


crissy 26.04.2011. 14:59

What rights does a father have to an unborn child? I have a friend (male) who is having a baby this fall. The mother and him have broken up and he very much wants to be a part of this babies life. The mother has told him no way ? she is finding someone else to be a father to this baby. What can he do legally? The first and only attorney he has talked to so far has told him he cannot do anything until after the baby is born.


Admin 26.04.2011. 14:59

I hope your friend doesn't live in Florida because if the mother of his child marries someone else before the baby is born, the baby belongs legally to the mother's husband and the man will lose all rights to his own biological child. Anyway...until the baby is born, the putative father has no rights...he doesn't even have the right to attend the child's birth as the mother retains the right to personal privacy AND the child may not even be his. After the child is born, all your friend can do is petition the courts for a dna paternity test to be done to confirm his paternity. And after that, he gets to pay child support and receive visitation. He certainly won't be given sole custody or even 50-50...not if he wasn't married to his child's mother. Further, the mother will be able to move whenever and wherever she likes and there is nothing the father can do since the courts won't tie a woman to a man who didn't marry her when he got her pregnant.

I want you to give your friend a message. Tell him I said he brought this all down upon himself. For starters, he had sex with a woman he didn't think worthy of marrying and not only that, but he had unprotected sex with her and got her pregnant. So really, he has no right to complain because IF he had not had premarital sex, he would not be in this position right now...and if he had waited until after marriage before impregnating the female, he would have had the right to help raise his child and in the event of a divorce, would have received 50/50 custody. Lastly, tell your friend...to keep it in his pants from now on UNTIl he meets the woman he wants to marry...and only after marrying her, should he get her pregnant. For him to do otherwise, means that he will have the heartache of paying 18 years of child support for a child he won't be able to live with, much less care for on a daily basis! Good luck and God bless.

Addendum: One more thing....ask your friend if he hasn't heard of genital warts, genital herpes, hepatitis B, and hiv/aids....and tell him that those, along with pregnancy, are the fruits of unprotected sex!

Note to Popeye42: The mother of the child does not have to notify the alleged father that the child is born as the child may not even be his. The alleged father has absolutely no rights until the court gives them to him, AFTER the child is born and after the dna test confirms his paternity. That means (as I said above), neither he nor his family have the right to be present during the child birth (even if he was married to her, she can still kick him out of the delivery room as it is HER body on display, not his), and he has no right to put his name on the birth certificate UNTIL AFTER the court confirms his paternity.

Addendum #2: There is one thing your friend must consider. If possible, he should register his possible paternity before the child's birth...this is not available in all states so he needs to consult his lawyer about this...because in certain states (Utah, Idaho, etc.), if the father doesn't register his possible paternity on or before the child is born, the mother can legally place the child up for adoption in those states and there is nothing the child's alleged father can do to stop it!


Michael 29.06.2013. 10:59

What needs to be done in order for me to be a good father? I had sex with a woman 23 years older than me and I met this woman through a social networking site. She is 38 and a single mum with twin boys. I told her I was 18 even though I was barely 15.

She kept telling me how cute I was and that she wanted to get to know me more. She asked me to visit her so I managed to get some free time and catch a bus to her house. We ended up having sex but the condom split.

I was worried so I asked her to get the morning-after pill, just to be on the safe side but she said, ?Don?t worry. I?ll never put you in a situation like that.?

Three weeks later I got another text saying she did another test and she was pregnant. I called her and told her that I couldn?t be a dad at my age as for starters my mother would freak out and literally kill me never mind anything else.

I was stunned. At first my reaction was no way not a chance you must be mistaken I was basically in denial I just refused to believe anything until I was 100% certain. I wanted her to have an abortion but understandably she wanted to keep the baby it was putting some strain on me and I have to say I did well to hide it from everybody but inside it was eating me alive.

After months of anguish the baby finally arrived into the world as a young healthy baby girl I was asked to be at the birth but I just couldnt bring myself to be there and infact I just shut myself off for the next month or so. I knew though that I needed to know the truth one way or the other I was anxious I took half a day of work just to meet up with them. Once I holding the baby and looked into her eyes I just knew straight then she was mine and then of course just a few weeks later the DNA test ended any doubt right there and then it really was a case of mixed emotions. On the one hand I was proud and overcome with emotions and then on the flipside it was also my worst nightmare and have no idea what it takes to become a good father. I've never really had a father figure in my life (mum and sisters only) so its very hard. . .

Once this woman found out I had lied about my age she cut me out of her's and my baby's life and so far I have already missed out on 6 months of being a father and the truth is I cannot handle this for much longer as its eating me alive.


Admin 29.06.2013. 10:59

Well... The fact that you lied an she had sex with a minor is yeah illegal an plus she could go to jail cause it's rape if your under age, well molestation etc. Point is she has reasons an you have to understand her concerns an consequences as an adult an as you as a minor, i think it's great you want to be in you baby girl's life. But seriously, i think you should call her an ask to talk it out, an arrangement so you could at least see the baby girl, cause your the spouse of why she had that child an you have every right to see your baby girl if you want. Also, being a good father is just you, you can be fun, an strict an very wisdom about things, just remember, its not like a video game, you can't just choose the options of "restart, replay," you have to absolutely make wise choices, an that will be a good father, raise your kid right, raise them the way YOU wanted to be raised with a father figure but did not have, be a kind, very social, fun, teaching young man father. Your baby girl is a girl so she'll defiantly need the mother daughter bond also, but she needs a big super hero or fun exciting guy in her life, as a father figure, fight for your right to get to see your baby girl, be the mature one your baby girl's mother isn't becoming all that much. Because being a father as a minor is a lot, but all you can do is talk with your parents tell them everything, an than MAYBE they'll help you if you truly wanna see your child they'll understand an help you.


sonya blackman b 17.04.2013. 19:21

What if my ex girlfriend is 8 months pregnant with my child and wants her boyfriend to sign birth certificate? She is trying to keep me from seeing my baby. She let me go to first 2 doctor app. Then she broke up and started dating someone else. She is telling all our friends she wants him to raise my child and there is a chance he is the father. What are my options? I am 16 years old going to high school and college. She is 17 years old and dropping out of high school. I want to be a good father. She has been sent to girls camp for anger problems a year ago. She just got off probation. She is a minor and i dont know how hard it will be to prove her past mental problems. I dont believe she was seeing this guy at the same time we were together but im not sure. She just wants me and my parents to disappear. If she will be a good mother I just want to share custody. My family will help me until i get out of college. We live in a very small town.

sonya blackman b

Admin 17.04.2013. 19:21

Its stand up of you at your age to care this much, a lot of young males would take this as a "get out of jail card" you need a paternity test, and a lawyer asap. talk to you parents and the court system if money is an issue their may be programs out there to help. you just need to get on it and don't let your baby suffer because she is an asshole :) you already sound like you and your family would be the better caregivers for a child. remember DNA test!!!!!!


Ron. 05.12.2008. 02:34

My wife gave birth to a child out of an affair in the middle of marriage? The child is here and she put my name in his birth certificate and social securty no. app. in the divorce court is that consider a fraud in legal document based in DNA test?


Admin 05.12.2008. 02:34

She can put your name down. However, you can disagree and have it taken off. You first must prove that you are not the father of the baby.
You are correct in stating that a DNA test will be taken. When they find out that the baby is not yours, you can attest to the name of the baby and any thing else. However, are you still planning on staying with your wife and the baby? IF you are...do you want the baby to grow up with your last name or not? You will have to think about this.
Don't wait too long to change the child's last name because if you stay with your wife and child...you will have to explain the last name difference to your child. If you want to raise the child as your own but feel you don't want to be responsible for child support (now or later in years), you should have it documented by the courts that the child is not yours. Therefore, if you ever get a divorce, you will not be responsible for child support payments.


belolairi 07.03.2010. 07:54

What is the difference in definition among ethnicity, nationality, and race? For example: What does being an American mean? What is the perceived image of an American? Is it of a white person, a person who is multicultural, or something else?

What does multicultural even mean on the US consensus forms? Is being multicultural based on race, in the culture you are living in, or something else?

Is it not true that race is just constructed?


Admin 07.03.2010. 07:54

Being American just means you are an american citizen. We come in all types. A native American is american indian ancestry but they actually originated from asian races but were here so long they developed genetic mutations which identify them separately from asians. Asians are actually different races with the Chinese being a saxon tribe. Mongols look similar but are different genetically. Genetically, the Chinese are closer related to the Norwegians than a white saxon versus celt. The jews are also of a saxon tribe.
Ethnicity is more about a culture/lifestyle - like mexican food/dress/customs
Nationality is the country where a persons ancestors emigrated from
Race is more complicated if you want to be specific because people have moved around and it would be rare to find anyone who is only one race. There originally were not that many tribes but people confuse location with race. For example the french are roman, the spanish are greek(think latin) with a little african mixed in due to proximity to africa. The english are german. The Irish boast of their celtic roots but stole so many saxon women that they now favor the saxon genes. I say that anyone who wants to spew hate against any race should have to take a dna test. It is also accepted that due to 400 years of slavery, That if a family lived in the south during slavery and marries other southerners that it would be impossible that they would be all white genetically. Figure that every black woman was raped her whole life and any light skinned children were raised in white society. That would have been hundreds of thousands of light skinned children with black genes incorporated into the white gene pool. It would take thousands of years to "breed it out". Racism is a product of ignorance and stupidity.
On the census form multicultural is a new politically correct way of describing mixed race.


Write a comment

* = required field





* Yes No